Creation of a Social Networking Platform for a systemic approach to Mental Health
Better MH for a better society (and vice versa)
«Mental health” is more than the mere lack of mental disorders. The positive dimension of mental health is stressed in WHO’s definition of health as contained in its constitution: Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
Concepts of mental health include subjective well-being, perceived self-efficacy, autonomy, competence, intergenerational dependence, and recognition of the ability to realize one’s intellectual and emotional potential. It has also been defined as a state of well-being whereby
individuals recognize their abilities, are able to cope with the normal stresses of life, work productively and fruitfully, and make a contribution to their communities.»
Mental health is about enhancing competencies of individuals and communities and enabling them to achieve their self-determined goals. Mental health should be a concern for all of us, rather than only for those who suffer from a mental disorder. Mental health problems affect society as a whole, and not just a small, isolated segment. They are therefore a major challenge to global development. (……….) For all individuals, mental, physical and social health are closely interwoven, vital strands of life. As our understanding of this interdependent relationship grows, it becomes ever more apparent that mental health is crucial to the overall well-being of individuals, societies and countries. Unfortunately, in most parts of the world, mental health and mental disorders are not accorded anywhere the same importance as physical health. Rather, they have been largely ignored or neglected.
“Systemic approach”: A specific application of “information entropy” to the probabilities of particular microstates of a system occurring in order to produce a particular macrostate.
More at “The Systemic Turn in Human and Natural Sciences” (Collective Volume, Springer, 2019)
- Mental disorders tend to become the main modern health problem not only due to their spread in the population but also because of their interaction with a number of areas of social and economic life and their relationship with the physical and mental health of individuals.
- The mainstream approach in the field of Mental Health is characterized by a fragmented and symptomatic treatment. This contributes decisively to the ongoing and growing deterioration of
all the characteristics of the field, an indisputable proof of the ineffectiveness of the current approach.. “EC: A European Health Data Space”.
- A systemic approach offers significant opportunities for change and effective intervention. Due to the nature of the field, the possibility of active participation of individuals and entities is a condition of change and a prerequisite for a successful transformation.
- Due to the universal dimension of the field, only the evolution of modern communication and networking technologies can create the background for the development of a systemic approach.
- Overall goal: The creation of a Social Networking Platform for Mental Health as a means of systemic approach.
- Technical features or business model information are on purpose mixed up within the general context.